Tuesday 9 August 2011

Salut The White Mouse

I would like to take a moment to pay homage to Nancy Wake who died on Monday morning.


What an extraordinary, remarkable woman. Ever since I read her biography when it was first released in 2002, she has inspired me in so many ways. My favourite story that stuck in my mind is how she rode a bicycle just over four hundred kilometres, in seventy-two hours, through German road blocks, and over mountains to arrange a new radio. Her inner thighs were rubbed raw. She never got on a bike again.

What a pity it took the Australian Government so long to recognise her valour. And, how gracious and lady-like of her to accept her medal when it was finally bestowed upon her.

If I was given the opportunity to host a dinner party for anyone I chose, Nancy Wake would have been the first guest I would have invited.

What a treasure we have lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenting instantly increases your awesomeness!Thank you. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...